Friday, April 17, 2009

Competition reflections

Only four more days until the programming competition begins! The same event which has led to multiple articles in The Beacon, NWC's homepage, The Capital Democrat, and even a couple Sioux City papers. Also the same event which has been the subject of many conversations this semester.
At times I wish I would have prepared more. I didn't take nearly the time for this as I would with, say, an actuarial exam. For sure, I wasted time "procrastinating," which could have been used to work more problems. And this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity which I'll remember forever.
On the other hand, there will always be "the big thing" in my studying/career. Getting an FSA. Perhaps other exams (EA, CFA). Finishing "the big job." Getting the promotion. Demonstrating myself worthy of the promotion I received. All these will come, and all these will go. But they aren't what life's about.
Sure, I could have prepared more. And I really respect those who have done hundreds, even thousands, of problems. But I absolutely don't regret spending my time with friends and family. In fact, I would rather that procrastinating time have been spent with them.

But, it is always easy to look back and be self-critical. Now, it's time to take on the world!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so stoked for you guys! Enjoy visiting Stockholm before the competition starts!
    And Ben, I know that game of Settlers you played while procrastinating was totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete